Sunday, June 8, 2014

In His Own Words : A Lesson On Stills From The USMC

What do Marines do when they are bored?  Anything they can think of.
I'm including this clip now because I'm not sure where this happened, either Pavuvu or Peleliu after it was secured.  I'm only guessing that between cleanup up Pavuvu and training, Marines had a lot of time on their hands on Pavuvu.  I don't know how much fruit was available on Peleliu after that battle...the island looked pretty much like a wasteland.

_________________________________________________________
Q: Tell me about that Staff Sgt. who was making bootleg whiskey.
A: Well, he wasn't a Master...he was a Master Gunnery Sgt.; six stripes...regular Marine; he had been in the Marine Corps before the war broke out.  He had his own still and he could take any kind of fruit, dried or otherwise and make white lightening out if it.

Q: Did he sell it to people or give it to people?
A: I don't know what he...he drank a lot of it himself! Is all I know..[laughter]

Q: What did he make the still out of, do you remember?  What he had that he would have to bring it around with him?
A: All he had to have was some way to heat it, and some kind of a pot, and fuel...alcohol or something. And, rig the copper tubing to cool it down to make liquid out of it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment