Friday, May 3, 2013

May 3, 1943 - Another Letter of Recommendation

World War II was still churning across both oceans east and west of Jackson, MS.  My father was nearly through is freshman year at Millsaps College.  Now that he was past the limitation of being 18 years old, he was making plans to join the Army Air Corps and be a pilot.

Daddy pledged and was accepted in the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity (or Pike's as they're informally called.)

He received the letter below a few days after his initiation into the fraternity.  I like that this letter notes the words "trust" and "adapt"...characteristics found in nearly all military members.
Letter of Recommendation May 3, 1943
(Click Here For Full Size)

Side note : I hope to continue to post more on this blog, but I am going to remain faithful to the timeline of how events unfolded prior to, and during the service of my father and my uncle.  My hope is that I, and others, get a truer sense of just how long of a process serving our country was (and still is) for so many veterans.  The majority of the "action", as it were, for both my father and my uncle happened in 1944 and thus, this blog will have much more activity in 2014, for the 70 year mark of those events.

No comments:

Post a Comment